Safer operating systems
Keeping your software up-to-date is one of the most important ways to stay safe online because it’s much harder for viruses to infect an updated operating system. Hackers target operating systems with new viruses all the time, and software companies combat these efforts with security patches, so be sure to download the latest security patch as soon as it becomes available.
To fully eliminate a virus that has infected your machine, you may need to reinstall your operating system. Back up your data on an external hard drive to prevent any losses that could occur during reinstallation.
Web browsers are the gateways to the Internet. Upgraded browsers provide more features, stability and security, so always use the latest version available.
A firewall protects your computer and home network from harmful websites and hackers. It sits between your computer and the Internet, scanning information that is being transmitted. It allows for safe browsing, blocks unauthorized intrusions, and stops hackers from using your computer to send malicious software to other computers.
Most computers come with a firewall, but you can get extra protection by installing additional firewalls keeping them up-to-date.
Keep the information on your smartphone secure with these browsing tips:
- Activate your phone's password feature, which locks the screen and prevents anyone but you from accessing your phone.
- Don't use unknown Wi-Fi to bank online.
- Beware of smishing – that's phishing on phones through text messages. Never download media or images, or click on text-message links that come from unrecognizable people or phone numbers.
- Never provide personal details or any account details using any form of electronic messaging because this is not a secure form of communication. If you are unsure, please contact us.
- Download apps exclusively from the official source.
- Install anti-virus software for your smartphone and update it frequently.
- Install location finding apps, which allow you to locate and/or remotely erase (or "wipe") data in your phone if it is lost or stolen.
- Update your smartphone's operating system as soon as newer versions are available.
For the best and safest internet usage experience, use the latest supported browsers. We do not support Beta or test versions of browsers.
Internet Explorer is the only browser that supports our current biometric login. Biometric login is required to access some Business Online Banking functionality.
128-Bit Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption
To access our services, your browser must also support 128-bit Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption. All the browsers we support meet this requirement. If yours doesn't, please download the appropriate encryption support from your browser's supplier.
We have no minimum hardware requirements, however, certain minimum requirements may be specified by the browser you are using.